See all our upcoming events below. Scroll through the following months or select the list, day, photo, or week view for your convenience. Click the event to purchase your tickets. We look forward to seeing you at our next event!
- This event has passed.
Guided Hike to Kremmling Ammonite Fossil Site
Sep 20, 2022 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm$20.00
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!
- SHS is excited to bring back this popular hike to our members:
- The BLM Kremmling Field Office will lead us on an interpretive hike of the 160-acre Research Natural Area containing fossils of over 100 species of marine creatures, including giant ammonites, from the late Cretaceous Period (72 million years ago) when Colorado was covered by a vast, shallow ocean.
- Plan to be gone most of the day
- Bring lunch and plenty of water — there will be virtually no shade.
- Be prepared for changing weather. Cool, wet weather can blow in on a moment’s notice
- HIGH-CLEARANCE Vehicles Highly Recommended, with at least front-wheel-drive; 30-minute drive to fossil site is over rocky terrain.
- If you do not have a high-clearance vehicle, please email us at "> and we will try to place you in another vehicle.
- EVENT MAY BE CANCELED WITH SHORT NOTICE DUE TO FORECASTS OF INCLEMENT WEATHER
- PLEASE CHECK BACK HERE FOR UPDATES AS THE EVENT DATE APPROACHES
MEETING PLACE AND TIME:
- Meet at the Dillon 1883 Schoolhouse Museum (403 LaBonte Street, Dillon) no later than 8:30am
- We will pool riders together in high-clearance vehicles and then caravan to the BLM Kremmling Field Office, arriving by 9:30am
- We will plan to be back in Dillon by 4:00pm but this is subject to change; plan accordingly
- PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A NO-PET EVENT