Work with Summit Historical Society
Summit Historical Society (SHS) is currently seeking a full-time, year-round Director to perform a variety of leadership, administrative and fundraising duties in support of the SHS mission. Applicants should have experience and understanding of museum practices, non-profit management, fundraising, business administration, and membership development skills.
- Oversee staff and volunteers in day to day operations for historic sites and collections
- Handling of collection management including loans, accessions, and deaccessions using PastPerfect
- Active generation of revenue through programs, special events, membership, grants, and donations
- Planning and coordination of special events and programs
- Implementation of community engagement activities
- Directing the Society staff in the development of strategic plans for success
- Active collection and story-telling about Summit County, Colorado history
- Creating a dynamic museum environment, in-person and online
- Responsible for the museum tours and school groups
- Overseeing and increasing membership and donations
- Writing/winning applications for local, state, and national grants
- Responding to emails, phone messages, and correspondence
- Overseeing payroll, documenting donations
- Developing budgets
- Following established museum practices in day to day handling of artifacts
- Other duties and activities as assigned
- Education: Degree from an accredited college or university in Museum Studies, History, Business, Nonprofit management, or related field, with at least 5 years management experience in related field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office PastPerfect and QuickBooks
- Able to speak, write, and read English. Fluency in additional languages, such as Spanish, is desirable
- 5+ years’ experience supervising staff and/or volunteers
- 5+ years’ experience with public speaking and presentations
- Experience with Board direction and supervision
- Prior experience working in the museum or fundraising field
- Experience completing grant applications and receipt of grant awards
- Familiarity with Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, etc.
- Demonstrated skills in growing a nonprofit
Job Location: 403 LaBonte St., Dillon, CO 80435
Starting Salary: $25-$30 hourly, paid bi-weekly, DOQ.
Full-time, year-round, Tuesday – Saturday. Workdays and hours will vary depending on the museum hours, special events, and fundraising activities. This position will require some evening and weekend hours. Limited travel may be required.
Benefits: Flexible schedule around work obligations, paid holidays and PTO.
Click Job Description button for full job description and application instructions.
Open until filled. Equal Opportunity Employer. Summit Historical Society is a 501c3 member organization.