The Montezuma Schoolhouse stands at 10,400 feet above sea level, making it one of the highest school buildings in the country. A smaller school, built in 1880, preceded this frame structure built in 1884. Workers added the belfry, bell and entry hall after 1884. Subsequently, white clapboard covered the original brown board-and-batten walls.
Protestants worshipped in the building. Using money raised through programs and box-supper socials, they purchased an organ for their services.
Visitors enjoy visiting the two attached two-seater “outhouses,” one for the boys and one for the girls, found at the back of the building. Accessible from inside the schoolroom, pupils and teachers alike used these two-seaters until the school closed in 1958.
The school undoubtedly had ladders on its roof in case of fire. Town rules required this as a fire-fighting method. Town ordinances also called for tin collars around all chimneys and smoke stacks. Despite the precautions, Montezuma suffered considerable fire damage in 1915, 1949, and 1958.
Directions: You can find the Montezuma Schoolhouse on the hillside east of Main Street in the town of Montezuma.